- Welcome from Miss Jelley
- Vision & Values
- School Performance and Reports
- Covid & Remote Learning Info
- Special Educational Needs
- Family Support and Nurture
- Policies & Procedures
- Pupil Premium
- Governor Information
- Governor Updates
- Governor Minutes 2017-2018
- Governor Minutes 2018-2019
- Governor Minutes 2019-2020
- Governor Minutes 2020-2021
- Governor Minutes 2021-2022
- Friends of Lawn
- School Sports Funding
- Forest School
- Staff Vacancies
Principles of Science
At Lawn Primary and Nursery School, we believe that teaching and learning in science should stimulate and excite children’s natural curiosity about the world around them. We understand that science at the primary level is incredibly important. It is where children learn the vital life skills of enquiry, investigation, problem solving and reasoning.
We aim to:
· Ensure all children are actively engaged in our science lessons.
· Encourage children to ask questions and support them in finding the answers to these questions.
· Help children to apply their existing knowledge and make links between what they have learnt and what they are experiencing.
· Offer a hands-on approach as often as possible, both inside and outside the classroom, enabling the children to discover for themselves
· Provide children with a variety of up to date resources to use within practical sessions.
· Use, and encourage the children to use, appropriate technical vocabulary.
· Make links between science and other areas of the curriculum, for example maths, English and computing.
· Foster an environment where children are happy to discuss their ideas and plans with their peers and the adults around them.
· Leave children wanting to find out more
Primary Science Quality Mark
At Lawn we are proud to have previously achieved the Silver Primary Science Quality Mark.
The Primary Science Quality Mark is an award scheme to develop and celebrate the quality of science teaching and learning in primary schools. Schools can achieve bronze, silver and gold awards.
An initial action plan was drawn up and implemented to enable many exciting scientific activities and developments to take place within school. With support from local secondary schools, parents and governors, we developed the already good practice taking place at Lawn and received the award.
Our next aim is to work towards and apply for Gold Quality Mark as soon as we are able.