All children living or moving within the School's catchment area are admitted in the academic year that they are five years old or on their arrival from another district.
All Admissions are the responsibility of the Local Authority and places are allocated in line with their Admissions Policy. If you are a parent/carer considering sending your children to us, we warmly invite you to you to telephone and make an appointment. A member of staff will provide a guided tour where you will have the opportunity to ask questions.
L.A. Admissions Policy
Applications can be made to School Admissions, if any parent
1. Lives in this School's catchment area and wishes their child/children to attend another school.
2. Wishes their child/children to attend Lawn Primary and Nursery School but does not live in the catchment area.
3. has a child who has a statement of special educational needs is required to be admitted to the school named on the child’s statement.
4. A ‘Looked After Child’ or a child who was previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption, residence or special guardianship order. A Looked After Child is a child who is (a) in the care of a local authority, or (b) being provided with accommodation by a local authority in the exercise if their social services function defined by Section 22 (1) of the Children Act 1989.
5. Any child who has a sibling attending the preferred school at the same time as he or she is due to be admitted.
If you are considering Option 2 and your child is already at another school, please make a point of discussing it with your child's present Headteacher. Transfer Forms are available from the School or the Admissions Team. Should you need any help or guidance with a school transfer form, please contact the Headteacher at the School, or the Admission Team at Swindon Borough Council, Wat Tyler House, Beckhampton Street, Swindon, SN1 2JH, Tel 01793 445500, or email: email@example.com
Please click on this link for the full Swindon Borough Council admissions policy.
More details about admissions can be found in the Admissions FAQ section of the Swindon Council website.
If your child is refused a place at Lawn Primary and Nursery School, parents have the right to appeal against this decision. Contact the Swindon Borough Council School Admissions team.
For pupils who are starting school for the first time in Reception/Early Years or for those moving on to Secondary School parent/ carers can make an application by either completing a paper application or complete an application online at
If applying by paper application form, the form must be returned to School Admissions at Swindon Borough Council. Do not send this application to the school. Applications must be made prior to the Local Authority's published closing date for registrations.
Key School Admission Dates
Application for Primary School and Secondary School places for a September 2023 start are made via Swindon Borough Council and can be completed online by following the link be-low to the admissions page of the SBC website.
You can apply for a primary or infant school place starting September 2023 if your child was born between 1 September 2018 and 31 August 2019.
The deadline for Secondary applications is: 31 October 2022
The deadline for Primary application is: 15 January 2023.
If you are unsure at any stage during the process, please contact the Admissions Team for advice
School Admissions, Swindon Borough Council, Wat Tyler House, Beckhampton Street, Swindon, SN1 2JH.
Tel: (01793) 445500 Fax: (01793) 465770
Swindon Admissions Guide
Latest information from Swindon Borough Council for Primary and Secondary Admissions
Primary School Admissions - www.swindon.gov.uk/primaryschoolplaces
Secondary School Admissions - http://www.swindon.gov.uk/secondaryschoolplaces
Frequently Asked Questions about starting school
- When does my child start school in Reception/ Early Years?
If they were born between 1 September 18 and 31 August 19 they can start Primary or Infant school in September 23.
- When does my child start Secondary School?
- If they were born between 1 September 2011 and 31 August 2012 they can start Secondary school in September 2023.
- Do I need to give 3 preferences?
- Parents/ carers are encouraged to fill in all three preferences, as this will increase the chance of your child being allocated a school that you have selected.
- When considering your preferences you should think about whether your child has a reasonable chance of being offered a place at the school you have named on the application form.
- Do not name the same school twice, this will not increase your chance of gaining a place
- Do I have to apply online?
- You can make an application by either completing a paper application or complete an application online at http://www.swindon.gov.uk.
- If applying by paper application form, the form must be returned to School Admissions at Swindon Borough Council .Do not send this application to the school.
- Check you are applying on the correct form.
Frequently Asked Questions for transfers during the school year
- What if I have more than one child?
- If there is more than one child involved, each request will be considered on an individual basis. If one child is offered or admitted to a school it does not guarantee a place at that particular school for any other child/ren in the family.
- I am having problems with my child at their current school, what should I do?
- We advise you to contact the school to discuss your concerns. It is advisable to resolve any issues rather than move away from the school. Every school will have an Education Welfare Officer who can be contacted through the school.
- What if I move house but want to keep my child at their current school?
- If you move house, you can choose to keep your child at their current school. However, you should be aware that this may affect any entitlement you have to transport assistance. If you have other children, there is no guarantee that they will be given a place.
- If I move into a school's catchment area, does that guarantee my child a place at the school?
- No. An application form should be submitted in the normal way and the decision will be made based on the availability of spaces in the appropriate year group at the school.